6 Benefits of Having LED Bulbs in Your Home

LED bulbs are quickly becoming a top choice for lighting the home. LEDs have definite advantages when compared to traditional incandescent bulbs and the more recent compact fluorescent bulbs.

6-benefits-of-having-led-bulbs-in-your-home

Here are six of the benefits you will enjoy when you choose LED bulbs for your home:

  1. LED bulbs are energy efficient. They are 80 percent efficient. That means the light bulb uses 80 percent of energy for lighting. Traditional incandescent bulbs, on the other hand, are only 10 to 20 percent efficient. That means that incandescent bulbs use only 10 to 20 percent of energy for lighting. The bulb emits the rest of that energy (80 to 90 percent) to the room as heat.
  2. Zero UV emissions are another benefit of LED bulbs. Many compact fluorescent lamps emit ultraviolet radiation. Some reports indicate that a person sitting near one of these CFL bulbs for a certain period will exceed the limits of safe exposure to UV radiation. Excessive exposure has been linked to skin cancer and aging. It can also lead to degradation of fabric fibers and color pigments, which leads to fading. LED bulbs used in the household have close to zero UV emissions.
  3. An LED bulb is operational in low temperatures. A common complaint about the CFL is that it does not work well in cold temperatures. Bulbs used in outdoor light fixtures do not come on immediately after flipping the switch. Some will eventually illuminate once the bulb warms up from the electricity flowing through it. Some will not illuminate at all in cold temperatures. LED bulbs do not have this problem. They come on immediately and give a steady light.
  4. Low voltage compatibility is another benefit of using LED bulbs. LEDs do not need much power to work. They are perfect for low-voltage outdoor lighting needs. They can run off a solar energy source and give light throughout the night. This is great for remote or rural installations.
  5. A significant benefit of LED bulbs is that they are ecologically friendly. They are completely recyclable. They do not contain the toxic materials found in CFLs, such as mercury. One LED bulb can replace 25 incandescent bulbs due to its long life and energy efficiency. That translates to a lower carbon footprint since the production needs of bulbs is greatly diminished.
  6. Durability is a hallmark benefit of LED bulbs. Due to their construction and design, LED bulbs can take many shocks, vibrations, and impacts without breaking. This is far different from the fragile glass casing of the traditional incandescent bulb or compact fluorescent bulb.

As your incandescent bulbs and CFLs start to fail, it is time to make the switch to LED. It is a safe, ecologically-friendly choice for your home.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Benefits

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s